Dahi Vada Recipe | Best Dahi Bhalla Recipe
Dahi Vada are fried lentil dumplings, topped with curd, variety of spices. It’s a famous Indian Chaat recipes and a very popular street food. Learn to make super soft Dahi Vada at home using this Step By Step Recipe. Here is how to make Simple yet Delicious Dahi Vada.
- 1 Cup Urad Dal (Split black gram) Dhuli Dal
- 1 tbsp Ginger Paste
- 2 pcs Green Chilies
- 1 tsp Salt To Taste
- ¼ tsp Baking Soda
- 4 tbsp Cooking Oil For Frying and Greasing
Dahi Vada Assembly Ingredients
- 1 kg Beaten Curb/Yoghurt
- 2 tsp Cumin Seeds
- 2 tsp Roasted Cumin Seeds Powder as toppings (optional)
- 1 tsp Red Chili Powder as toppings (optional)
- 1 tsp Chaat Masala as toppings (optional)
- 1 tbsp Cooking Oil
- 1 tbsp Salt to taste
Wash the dal and soak in 3-4 cups of water for 4-5 hours.
Drain the water and add the dal in a blender along with the salt.
Blend the dal to make a thick paste. Just add 2-3 tsp of water while grinding the dal. Transfer the urad dal paste to a large mixing bowl.
Use your hands and whisk the dal for 4-5 minutes until it is very light and fluffy
Cover the bowl and keep aside for 15 minutes.
Add the baking soda and whisk for another minute.
Take a bowl filled with water and drop small drop of batter in it.
If the batter immediately starts to float on top of the water, the batter is ready. If not, then whisk it some more.
Heat oil for frying in a pan.
Wet your hands with water and take out small portion of the batter in your palms. Shape it into a flat round vada.
Drop the vada in hot oil. Simmer the heat to medium low and fry all the vadas until they are slightly browned.
Drain the vada on a plate.
Curd Mixture Recipe
When the vadas are still hot, put them into hot water.
Allow it to rest and absorb water for 15 minutes.
Meanwhile, in a large mixing bowl take 2 cups of thick curd.
In addition, add sugar and salt to taste.
Whisk the curd more till it turns smooth.
Now drop the soaked vadas into curd mixture and rest for 10 minutes.
Meanwhile, prepare the tempering using oil, cumin seeds, and red chillis.
Pour oil mixture over dahi vada and sprinkle some res chilli powder, roasted cumin seeds powder and chaat masala powder as toppings.
Serve Dahi Vada or Dahi Bhalla chilled or as it is.
It is a naturally gluten-free diet. It can also be made the vegan recipe by using vegan yogurt or vegan curd.
- Homemade yogurt or curd gives the best taste but canned or bought from store variant works well too.
- To make the softest Dahi vada or dahi Bhalla whisk the batter well before you make the vada.
- Don't put the vada into cold water or cold oil. It will break them apart.
- Choose the right ratio mix of Urad/moong dal.
- Before storing the dahi vada or dahi Bhalla into the refrigerator, cool them down to room temperature.
- Dahi Vada or Dahi Bhalla can remain good for 2-3 days inside refrigerator.
Serving: 250gCalories: 0.28kcalCarbohydrates: 17.1gProtein: 5.3gFat: 21.8gSaturated Fat: 3gSodium: 411mgPotassium: 42mgFiber: 7.4gSugar: 0.2gCalcium: 8mgIron: 1mg
If you have made the recipe and liked it then do share the recipe link on facebook, twitter & pinterest. For instagram mention @girlysh17 and tag #girlysh17!