This is a unique pomfret fish curry recipe that involves frying pomfret fish and then turning it into a thick curry recipe. So, if you do not like the curries, you can go ahead with the fish fry. So, stay tuned as I explain the whole recipe.
Pomfret fish is also known as “Paplet Fish” in most parts of India. Hot rice topped with fish curry is the most basic food of the coastal regions of India. This pomfret fish curry recipe is the inspiration from coastal region cuisines of India. This is a coconut based curry. It is a mixture of fresh coconut paste and spices. This curry is a melange of spices and aromatics to give it a nice flavor and taste.
Pomfret fish is one of the best fish available in India with the least amount of bone. There are many methods to cook pomfret fish, some people like to eat it just like fried fish, some people enjoy the curry. In this recipe, we have covered both fry and curry together to give it a unique and very nostalgic taste. This Pomfret fish curry goes well with hot plain rice.
How to Cooke Pomfret Fish Curry Recipe
This recipe needs white or silver pomfret because they are very buttery in nature. The frying makes it tender, soft, and buttery. Pomfret is Paplet in Goa, Mumbai. Pamphlet in other parts of Maharashtra and North India, vawali in parts of southern states. In Goa, pomfret curry is paplet hooman that is must try for seafood lovers. So, here is the pomfret fish curry recipe which you can easily make at home. Scroll down below to know the tips and more details.
Pomfret Fish Curry
- 250 gms Pomfret Fish
- 3 tbsp Cooking Oil
- ½ tbsp Mustard Seeds
- 3 pcs Dry Red Chilli
- 2 pcs Onions Medium Size
- 1 pc Tomato Large Size
- 1 tbsp Ginger Garlic Paste
- 2 tbsp Tamarind Pulp
- 1 tbsp Coconut Paste
- 1 tsp Kashmiri Red Chilli Powder
- 1 tsp Turmeric
- 1 tbsp Salt to taste
- 2 pcs Green Chilli
- ½ cup Coriander chopped
- 200 ml Water as required
- Add ½ tsp turmeric, ½ tsp salt (to the taste) on cleanly washed POMFRET FISH.
- Mix it well.
- Set aside for 15 minutesto marinate.
- Dry roast mustard seeds, cumin seeds & dry red chilli on low flame for 2 mins.
- Transfer the roasted spices into mixer grinder and grind for few seconds.
- Add 2 chopped medium sizeonion as well into grinder and grind well to make a smooth paste
- Transfer onion & spice paste in a bowl.
- Grind one large tomato to make a smooth paste or use tomatopuree.
- Heat 3 tablespoons cooking oil into a pan/kadhai.
- Add marinated POMFRET fish and fry lightly on both sides (fry 2mins on eachside).
- Remove the fried fish & transfer to some clean bowl/plate.
- Add the ginger-garlic paste into the same oil used for frying fish.
- Fry the ginger-garlic paste well till the raw smell goes off.
- Add onion paste & fry for 2-3 mins on medium flame.
- Add tomato paste/puree, Kashmiri red chilli powder, turmeric, salt into thepan.
- Mix the spice well into the pan & continue to fry it for 12-15 mins onlow flame
- You can also fry it till oils get separated as an indicator for cooking time.
- Add 200ml water or as thick/watery gravy you want.
- Heat it on medium/low flame till the POMFRET FISH CURRY comes to boil.
- Add earlier fried POMFRET FISH into the curry in pan/kadhai.
- Add tamarind pulp & coconut paste.
- Cover the pan & cook for 10-12 mins on low flame.
- Mix the ingredients in the pan gently with a spoon or by shaking thePan/Kadahi to avoid breaking of POMFRET fish.
- Add slit green chilli & chopped coriander.
- Our POMFRET FISH CURRY is ready to be served.
- Serve with steam rice or as you like.
This fish curry is thicker in nature but you can adjust the consistency of the curry.
To balance the sweetness of coconut, add the tamarind to give it sour and tangy flavor. Kashmiri chillies are not very spice. So, it gives wonderful red color and little spicy flavor to the curry.
ou shall not cut fish into small pieces, let it be little big in size. Because, the frying of the fish will give it the perfect texture and taste.
To avoid the disintegration of fish, add it at the very end of cooking. Also, avoid overcooking it, it is ready to serve when the oil separates from curry. We have to be careful because we have chosen a very soft and tender fish in nature.
You should mix it very gently and simmer on low heat. As, we have already fried the fish, so it is important to carefully cook the fish.
You can keep the curry aside for 3-4 hours to infuse all the spices into the curry. You can heat it again while serving. This tastes more better the next day.
Serve it with hot plain rice.
For more recipe, click here
Watch our other videos at YouTube.