Pomfret fish is one of the best fish available in India with the least amount of bone. There are many methods to cook pomfret fish, some people like to eat it just like fried fish whereas some people enjoy the curry. In this recipe, we have covered both fry and curry together to give it a unique and very nostalgic taste. This Pomfret fish curry goes well with hot plain rice.
Pomfret Fish Curry
- 250 gms Pomfret Fish
- 3 tbsp Cooking Oil
- ½ tbsp Mustard Seeds
- 3 pcs Dry Red Chilli
- 2 pcs Onions Medium Size
- 1 pc Tomato Large Size
- 1 tbsp Ginger Garlic Paste
- 2 tbsp Tamarind Pulp
- 1 tbsp Coconut Paste
- 1 tsp Kashmiri Red Chilli Powder
- 1 tsp Turmeric
- 1 tbsp Salt to taste
- 2 pcs Green Chilli
- ½ cup Coriander chopped
- 200 ml Water as required
- Add ½ tsp turmeric, ½ tsp salt (to the taste) on cleanly washed POMFRETFISH.
- Mix it well.
- Set aside for 15 minutesto marinate.
- Dry roast mustard seeds, cumin seeds & dry red chilli on low flame for2 mins.
- Transfer the roasted spices into mixer grinder and grind for few seconds.
- Add 2 chopped medium sizeonion as well into grinder and grind well to make a smooth paste
- Transfer onion & spice paste in a bowl.
- Grind one large tomato to make a smooth paste or use tomatopuree.
- Heat 3 tablespoons cooking oil into a pan/kadhai.
- Add marinated POMFRET fish and fry lightly on both sides (fry 2mins on eachside).
- Remove the fried fish & transfer to some clean bowl/plate.
- Add the ginger-garlic paste into the same oil used for frying fish.
- Fry the ginger-garlic paste well till the raw smell goes off.
- Add onion paste & fry for 2-3 mins on medium flame.
- Add tomato paste/puree, Kashmiri red chilli powder, turmeric, salt into thepan.
- Mix the spice well into the pan & continue to fry it for 12-15 mins onlow flame
- You can also fry it till oils get separated as an indicator for cooking time.
- Add 200ml water or as thick/watery gravy you want.
- Heat it on medium/low flame till the POMFRET FISH CURRY comes to boil.
- Add earlier fried POMFRET FISH into the curry in pan/kadhai.
- Add tamarind pulp & coconut paste.
- Cover the pan & cook for 10-12 mins on low flame.
- Mix the ingredients in the pan gently with a spoon or by shaking thePan/Kadahi to avoid breaking of POMFRET fish.
- Add slit green chilli & chopped coriander.
- Our POMFRET FISH CURRY is ready to be served.
- Serve with steam rice or as you like.